Business owners say to me all the time “why should I go to an HR training course? I don’t want to learn about HR, I just want to run my business”.
Yes I get it, sitting in a HR training course listening to someone tell you all the things you can’t do as an employer is not most people’s idea of fun.
But do you know what is not fun?
Spending everyday working alongside an employee who you know is under-performing or worse who is blatantly breaking your company rules – now that is the opposite of fun!
Let me be honest and tell you a few home truths:
- If you are a small business owner – it is up to you to manage your staff (even if you have a manager or managers)
- It is easy to manage staff when things are going well.. but 100 times more difficult and more crucial to do it right when things are going wrong
- No one else will do it for you if you won’t even acknowledge the problem yourself
- You have to educate yourself.. or your business will suffer .. and your stress will increase
So here is the good news about coming to one of my HR training course sessions:
- No one will expect you to become an expert after spending a few hours attending HR training
- Spending time with other small business owners facing the same problems as you is a safe way to learn, it is also good to see that you are not alone and all business owners have staff problems at some time or another
- You don’t need to know all of the answers. You just need to know that it is something you need to take a moment and seek help.
- All you have to do is educate yourself about the pitfalls or the red flags as I call them. Those situations when you need your brain to think:
- “There may be something more to this.. so I need to check it out before I answer”
- “You need more information to understand the real issue”
- “It is okay to tell an employee you don’t have an answer right now but you can find out and get back to them”
- “This is something that needs to be handled carefully”
- “This sounds like something Johanna mentioned… I need to give her a call“
All too often people contact me AFTER something has gone wrong in their business. You cannot take back what you have already said and you most definitely cannot rewrite history… although who didn’t want a trip in a DeLorean with Michael J Fox driving back in 1985 😊!
But seriously you do owe it to yourself to spend time working on your business to better educate yourself.
Remember you don’t have to know everything in HR about managing staff, but you do have to be open to understanding more. I am passionate about life long learning and if I can convince more small business owners to attend a HR training course that I know will be of benefit to them in the long run then I have to shout about it
If you want to attend one of my upcoming HR training courses just click here to book.
Have a great week!
Until next time
Serving small business owners who want HR made easy.
Don’t forget to follow me on social media too:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Disclaimer (otherwise known as things the solicitors make me say)
NB: information correct at time of posting. Content is not provided as legal advice and/or information. The content is for your guidance in general situations only. Professional and/or legal advice should be sought before use.
14 Day Mini Series
Free HR Templates & Videos
Enter your email address to get access to 14 FREE HR templates and videos
You will also be added to our mailing list as you have expressed an interest in our business. We will send you emails on our products and services, and you can unsubscribe at any time.